- 2-3 pounds stew meat (or a 3-pound chuck roast, cubed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ⅓ cup flour
- 6-7 tablespoons apple juice or water
- 4-8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup light or regular sour cream
- Place the stew meat, salt, pepper and onion in the slow cooker. Stir to distribute the seasonings and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and ketchup. Pour over the meat. Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour and apple juice in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well. The roux should be thick but still pourable so add a tablespoon of apple juice or water at a time to thin, if needed. Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices and to avoid lumps.
- Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup sour cream right before serving. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes.
- *This also makes a great freezer meal! I store the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and then thaw in the refrigerator (usually takes about a day) and reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove.
Looking for more delicious slow cooker recipes?
Here are a few of our favorite:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Pork Roast
Slow Cooker Ritz Chicken
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
Slow Cooker Roast Beef and Vegetables
We’ve put together 50 of our favorite slow cooker recipes to make dinnertime a breeze!
You can get this eCookbook for just $4.99 (that’s less than ten cents a recipe)!
Get it HERE!