Overnight Baked Caramel French Toast

This is hands-down my family’s new favorite breakfast!  I am a huge french toast fan.  I especially love that I could prepare this the night before and throw it in the oven for 20 minutes in the morning and it is ready to go!  I have tried some baked french toast recipes that end up being a little too soggy, but this turned out perfectly.  I’m looking for an excuse to make it again!

Overnight Baked Caramel French Toast
(Recipe from Tablespoon.com)

1 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
(I added chopped pecans for a little somethin’ extra!)

French Toast:
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (3/4-inch-thick) diagonal cut slices French bread

1.  Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, mix topping ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. DO NOT BOIL. Spread topping in baking dish.

2.  In shallow bowl, beat eggs with fork. Beat in milk, vanilla and salt. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, making sure all egg mixture is absorbed; arrange over topping in dish. Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

3.  When ready to bake, heat oven to 400°F. Uncover baking dish; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and toast is golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 3 minutes.

4.  Place large heatproof serving platter upside down over baking dish; turn platter and baking dish over. Remove baking dish, scraping any extra caramel topping onto toast. Serve immediately.

Looking for more breakfast recipes? Check these out!
Cinnamon Breakfast Bites
Oven Baked Omelette
Funfetti Birthday Pancakes
Homemade Orange Rolls
Mini Maple Pancake Muffins

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

We had it this morning! Amazing! Hubby is not a sweets lover but he loves caramel. He said this for breakfast is one more good reason to be alive.lol Thanks so much.
    BTW I also have five sisters! It can get quite interesting at times. :)

We just made this for Easter breakfast and i must say: as a terrible cook i did very good at this. We didnt do the nuts but it was just as good with some homemade whip cream on top. The only thing il do different next time is make it in a much biggger pan so i can fit more slices in it and serve it for brunch with guests over. SOOOO DELISH!

Very good! Made it in the morning for dinner in the evening. My kids love breakfast for dinner. And I love easy things I can throw into the oven for dinner. Only thing I would do differently is to actually cook the caramel a bit longer, perhaps boil it to make it a deeper caramel. But very good and a great way to use up bread! I crammed 12 pieces into my 9 X 13 as I was feeding 6.

4. Vicki says

I have made this YUMMY French toast numerous times. Everyone loves this so that they ask for the recipe. This might even makes it to Christmas morning!! Thanks so much for your site~~~ it is divine!!!!

5. Stacey says

Just a silly question about the best bread to use…it says french bread but those slices are huge and would never fit into a 9×13 so I must be thinking of the wrong bread. Is it more like a baguette? Oh, and does it have to be day old? Thanks!!

• Cyd says

Hi Stacey, we buy the loaf of French Bread in the bakery at the grocery store and slice it ourselves. about 8 slices fit great in a 9 x 13 inch pan. It doesn’t have to be day old! :)