Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Join us on Facebook to see our latest recipes!

I plan my menu out for the week every Sunday.  I usually don’t realize until I get to the grocery store the next day that I have planned Mexican dishes for 3 or so of the 7 meals for the week.  I love it. I just can’t get enough!  My husband is learning to love it almost as much as I do, and he definitely liked this.  So did the toddler!  It is a keeper!

Pictures just don’t do it justice.
Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

96 Comments

1. Anonymous says

Made this tonight, used soft taco kit that included salsa and didnt add anymore, other than that all was the same.. Hubby and 15 month old ATE IT UP. total hit will make this again. Thanks for sharing it..

2. Anonymous says

Hi! I am very excited to try your recipe tonight.. This might sound like a silly question, but I just want to be sure I do this right… Do you lay the tortillas down, similar to Lasagna.. or are they rolled? Thanks!!

3. Anonymous says

I used chicken instead of ground beef. To get it super tender, I put my raw chicken breasts in the crock pot with the onion, a little garlic, seasonings, and salsa. Then, I cooked on low all day for moist, fall-apart chicken. This was delicious!

Okay, this looks FANTASTIC! I always seem to incorporate too much Mexican as well and try to add some variety to our kitchen, but I can’t seem to do it consistently enough when recipes like this keep tempting me! Thanks for sharing, I’m excited to make this :)

I had to modify this as I didn’t have the right beans(used refried beans instead) but we really enjoyed this!! I cleaned the kitchen and was about to put the leftovers away when my oldest came in and asked if he could have another small plate :) Thanks!!

I found this recipe on Pinterest, tried it for dinner tonight. LOVED IT!!!! Husband scarfed it all down, so I’m guessing I can add it to my line-up! :-D
    thanks for a very yummy recipe! I follow you guys on Facebook, I’ll be checking out more of your recipes. Keep up the good work!

I made this yesterday and LOVED it! I used the black beans and a regular sized can of corn then topped it off with shredded lettuce, sliced olives, tomatoes, cilantro and green onions. Will definitely be making it again! Thank you for sharing this.

oh my goodness, I absolutley love your blog! thankyou for all these super recipes & ideas! I hope to do the above mexican casserole tonight for my family! I have 4 sisters….I wish we were as close as you guys are. Dont take for granted. What a blessing!

This is a family favorite as well. I look forward to trying your recipe as you add some italian dressing into it and a little extra punch would be fun. Just to respond to the women asking about freezing, I freeze ours for our freezer club all the time. We do use refried beans, but I don’t imagine beans make any difference. I do highly recommend only using jarred salsa and not fresh. The only time we had an issue with it was with fresh salsa and it flooded the food when thawed. It is a Freezer Favorite with our group! It is an easy one to multiply and put several away for later. Always great when thawed.

TRIED IT! LOVED IT! I doubled the meat mixture because, well, I wanted thick layers of it in between the tortillas. I did have quite a bit extra but that’s ok. I just stored it and heated it back up the next day and put it on the extra tortilla shells. Even my most pick eater asked for seconds of this!

11. Wendy says

the recipe calls for Italian dressing yet no where is it mentioned in the direction part of the recipe. It it to be used where you say to mix in taco seasoning (which is not in the list of ingredients)?

• Leslie says

I just wrote down the recipe and both are mentioned. Taco seasoning is mentioned right after the Italian dressing in the list. The dressing is in directions right after the beans. Long story short: mix everything except the tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro in the meat.

• Denise says

Yes. I layered the “pie” with corn tortillas & it turned out fabulous! Also, instead of salsa I used a can of rotel & a small can of green chilies. Squeeze of 1/2 lime was the right kick of zest! Yum!

12. Amanda says

I used whole wheat tortillas, and Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. It was AMAZING! My picky daughter ate it all, even the beans! I think I’m gonna try it meatless next time, and just double the amount of beans. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

13. Amy says

Made this tonight – AMAZING!!! Sooooo completely yummy! I had to force myself to walk away from the table. My husband said his waistline grew just smelling it. Three kids between 11 and 2 all ate it and asked for more! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

14. Carla Jo says

I found this on Pinterest and it was listed under gluten free.
    I am just starting to use a gluten free menu so maybe I can lose some weight.
    I want to know if there is such a thing as gluten free tortillas. I am not sure if I have ever seen any.
    Help!
    The recipe is a lot like several we already make and we love it!

15. Joyce says

This is in the oven as we speak. I made a batch of homemade salsa to use and will keep the remaining ford weekday snacks.
    Ingredients
    1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
    2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies) mild
    1/4 cup Chopped Onion
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    1/4 teaspoon Sugar, we use 2 Splenda packets
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 bunch cilantro, just leaves
    1/2 whole Lime Juice

Place in food processor and process about 30 seconds, or to desired consistency.

16. Sandy mcFarling says

I always like to read the comments and I seen some people say they used enchilada sauce. Is this in place of something else or In addition to? Thanks so much. Going to try this soon

17. Danielle says

This recipe was amazing, I’m frustrated it took me so long to remember to make it ! I took some great pictures that you could feel free to use in your blog, if you share your email (or email me above at my address) I’d love to send them to you.

FANTASTIC!