Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Join us on Facebook to see our latest recipes!

I plan my menu out for the week every Sunday.  I usually don't realize until I get to the grocery store the next day that I have planned Mexican dishes for 3 or so of the 7 meals for the week.  I love it. I just can't get enough!  My husband is learning to love it almost as much as I do, and he definitely liked this.  So did the toddler!  It is a keeper!

Pictures just don't do it justice.
Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.

• Kay Allen says:

This is wonderful! I made it last night and my son had two helpings and he had some again this morning at breakfast. For sure I will make this again and again. Next time I think I’ll add sliced black olives.

1. Anonymous says:

Made this tonight, used soft taco kit that included salsa and didnt add anymore, other than that all was the same.. Hubby and 15 month old ATE IT UP. total hit will make this again. Thanks for sharing it..

2. Anonymous says:

Made this last night with corn tortillas (Celiac’s in this house) and it was a hit. Three generations loved it, and the leftovers were claimed for lunches already!

3. Anonymous says:

Hi! I am very excited to try your recipe tonight.. This might sound like a silly question, but I just want to be sure I do this right… Do you lay the tortillas down, similar to Lasagna.. or are they rolled? Thanks!!

4. Morgan Dean says:

MAde this tonight. Thanks for sharing it is a keeper for us. We served with LOTS of fresh tomatoes and cilantro. Love the balance of savory and freshness!

5. Anonymous says:

I used chicken instead of ground beef. To get it super tender, I put my raw chicken breasts in the crock pot with the onion, a little garlic, seasonings, and salsa. Then, I cooked on low all day for moist, fall-apart chicken. This was delicious!

6. Anonymous says:

I have a question for the cheese? You said use 2 cups of cheese( 4 ounces). Isn’t 2 cups 8 ounces?How much did you use?

7. Alisha says:

This is also a GREAT recipe to use up the last of the tortilla chips that have gone a little stale. You would layer them the same, just crunch them up a little. Makes this delicious dish just a tiny bit better…

8. Amie says:

Okay, this looks FANTASTIC! I always seem to incorporate too much Mexican as well and try to add some variety to our kitchen, but I can’t seem to do it consistently enough when recipes like this keep tempting me! Thanks for sharing, I’m excited to make this :)

9. J says:

I had to modify this as I didn’t have the right beans(used refried beans instead) but we really enjoyed this!! I cleaned the kitchen and was about to put the leftovers away when my oldest came in and asked if he could have another small plate :) Thanks!!

10. kshouse says:

Made this for dinner tonight and my husband had a hard time pulling himself away from the table. He said it’s definitely a keeper!!!

11. CaitlinMarie says:

So I *love* enchiladas and this looks amazing but, being from Texas I gotta ask, What place does Italian dressing have in Mexican food? Where did that come from?

• Six Sisters says:

Hi Kelli!

I have never tried to freeze it before. I am not sure if it would work because the tortillas might get soggy when it thaws. Let us know how it goes if you try it!

• Since ground beef is on sale at my store this week, I am going to cook the filling (minus sour cream) and freeze in a freezer bag lying flat. Then, I’ll thaw when it is on my menu, stir in sour cream, layer & bake.

12. Ashley says:

I made this! Turned out great! I added scallions on top and also added some Spanish rice in with the meat mixture. I will definitely make it again!

13. pennjos says:

I found this recipe on Pinterest, tried it for dinner tonight. LOVED IT!!!! Husband scarfed it all down, so I’m guessing I can add it to my line-up! :-D
    thanks for a very yummy recipe! I follow you guys on Facebook, I’ll be checking out more of your recipes. Keep up the good work!

14. Paula says:

I made this yesterday and LOVED it! I used the black beans and a regular sized can of corn then topped it off with shredded lettuce, sliced olives, tomatoes, cilantro and green onions. Will definitely be making it again! Thank you for sharing this.

15. Liz Coats says:

This was delicious! I made put it all together Sunday & cooked it on Monday for dinner & it held up great in the fridge – no problems at all with the tortilla’s – it was great!

16. JaeM says:

I just put this together and will pop in the oven a little later … the only modification I made was adding a little more cheese to the top layer and will use green onions opposed to the cilantro

17. oh my goodness, I absolutley love your blog! thankyou for all these super recipes & ideas! I hope to do the above mexican casserole tonight for my family! I have 4 sisters….I wish we were as close as you guys are. Dont take for granted. What a blessing!

18. Mai Lewis says:

I made this for my husband and one yr old son! They LOVE IT! Thanks a million! My Trini husband has a HUGE stomach that’s hard to fill! He’s been requesting this at least twice a week since I made it the first time!

19. Beth says:

This is a family favorite as well. I look forward to trying your recipe as you add some italian dressing into it and a little extra punch would be fun. Just to respond to the women asking about freezing, I freeze ours for our freezer club all the time. We do use refried beans, but I don’t imagine beans make any difference. I do highly recommend only using jarred salsa and not fresh. The only time we had an issue with it was with fresh salsa and it flooded the food when thawed. It is a Freezer Favorite with our group! It is an easy one to multiply and put several away for later. Always great when thawed.

20. Bonnie Fritz says:

TRIED IT! LOVED IT! I doubled the meat mixture because, well, I wanted thick layers of it in between the tortillas. I did have quite a bit extra but that’s ok. I just stored it and heated it back up the next day and put it on the extra tortilla shells. Even my most pick eater asked for seconds of this!

• Summer says:

I’m trying this tomorrow I can’t wait. I have two picky eaters at home and based on the comments I’m really hoping they’ll enjoy it. ^_^

21. Wendy says:

the recipe calls for Italian dressing yet no where is it mentioned in the direction part of the recipe. It it to be used where you say to mix in taco seasoning (which is not in the list of ingredients)?

• Leslie says:

I just wrote down the recipe and both are mentioned. Taco seasoning is mentioned right after the Italian dressing in the list. The dressing is in directions right after the beans. Long story short: mix everything except the tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro in the meat.

• Denise says:

Yes. I layered the “pie” with corn tortillas & it turned out fabulous! Also, instead of salsa I used a can of rotel & a small can of green chilies. Squeeze of 1/2 lime was the right kick of zest! Yum!

22. Amanda says:

I used whole wheat tortillas, and Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. It was AMAZING! My picky daughter ate it all, even the beans! I think I’m gonna try it meatless next time, and just double the amount of beans. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

23. Amy says:

Made this tonight – AMAZING!!! Sooooo completely yummy! I had to force myself to walk away from the table. My husband said his waistline grew just smelling it. Three kids between 11 and 2 all ate it and asked for more! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

24. Carla Jo says:

I found this on Pinterest and it was listed under gluten free.
    I am just starting to use a gluten free menu so maybe I can lose some weight.
    I want to know if there is such a thing as gluten free tortillas. I am not sure if I have ever seen any.
    Help!
    The recipe is a lot like several we already make and we love it!

25. Tracy says:

Once the meat mixture is cooked, do you think it would be ok to layer everything in a slow cooker? I need a mexican dish for a potluck at work.

• Cyd says:

Just spray the tin foil on one side. Then cover the casserole with the sprayed side down next to the cheese. It prevents the cheese from sticking to the foil.

26. Joyce says:

This is in the oven as we speak. I made a batch of homemade salsa to use and will keep the remaining ford weekday snacks.
    Ingredients
    1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
    2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies) mild
    1/4 cup Chopped Onion
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    1/4 teaspoon Sugar, we use 2 Splenda packets
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 bunch cilantro, just leaves
    1/2 whole Lime Juice

Place in food processor and process about 30 seconds, or to desired consistency.