Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole {Funeral Potatoes}

I am actually including two different recipes for this post- both are for the same casserole and they taste pretty similar, but one has Cream of Chicken Soup in it and one doesn't. I know that some people do not like Cream of Chicken soup, so I wanted to share an alternative.  Both recipes are delicious and this side dish is a Sunday dinner favorite at my house! This also makes an easy freezer meal- I divide the recipe in half and freeze one half for another day. Serve it with some ham and you have a delicious meal with very little prep work. Anyway, here are the recipes:
Mom's Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole:

Potatoes:
12 large potatoes or 1 (32 oz) bag frozen shredded hashbrowns
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup (reduced fat is fine)
2 cups sour cream (light is fine)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup chopped onions
Topping:
2 cups crushed corn flakes
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Peel potatoes and boil for 30 minutes, until just tender. Cool and grate into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish (or put frozen hashbrowns into the baking dish). Combine soup, sour cream, cheese, the 1/2 cup melted butter, and onions. Gently blend into potatoes. Combine crushed corn flakes and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle on top. Make at 350 degrees for 30 to 40
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (without Cream of Chicken soup)

Potatoes:
3 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
26-ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns
1/2 cup light sour cream
Topping:
3 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.

Combine the chicken broth and milk in a liquid measure and slowly whisk in the mixture. Add the salt, pepper and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Take the pot off the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth. Mix in the frozen hash browns, lifting and folding the mixture until well combined. Finally, stir in the sour cream.

In a medium bowl, toss the lightly crushed cornflakes with the butter until evenly combined. Scoop out the potato mixture into a 9X13-inch baking dish and top with the buttered cornflakes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly around the edges.

Here are more of our favorite side dish recipes:
Pizza Dip
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
Easy Deviled Eggs
Easy Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Fresh Spinach Dip

1. claire says:

I’ve been looking for a good recipe for this..I never knew the name of it. Thanks, we will be having this with baked ham.

2. Anonymous says:

Just saw this recipe and saw what you called it in ( ) I have this same recipe and my husband nicknamed them (funeral potatoes) because when I was working this was a GREAT dish to bring for the dinner after the funeral. I also serve them with Ham and bean casserole. GREAT RECIPE!!!

3. Kim says:

I’ve been making these for years except I use southern style hash browns. This one of my most requested recipes to bring to family meals year round. As a matter a fact I believe I got this recipe after it was brought to my “ex” mother-in-laws home before the “funeral” of her mother. But these are not just Funeral Potatoes!!

4. Diana Lee says:

Thank you so much for including a version without cream of whatever soup. I love these casseroles, but really don’t care for those soups and my husband hates them, so this is exactly what I need.

5. I made the recipe without the cream of chicken soup and it was FANTASTIC!! For years I had made one similar with the use of cream of potato soup. I didn’t have the soup on hand, so I searched for a recipe without and tried this one. My guests this morning raved about (who had had my previous recipes before) and said this one was the best! I loved it too and now make this my go to brunch recipe. We baked a spiral ham with glaze had blueberry muffins and fruit. Delicious! Thanks.

6. knightriders says:

I make these often, but I use hash browns O’Brien! Then I don’t have to add onions, and we LOVE the peppers in it as well! I also add about 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and I omit the butter. I love it with the crushed corn flakes, but the kids don’t so I leave that off. Thanks for sharing!

• Camille says:

I just place it in the pan, to it with foil, and place it in the freezer. When I am ready to back, I usually let it thaw in the fridge for about 12 hours, then bake it at the same temperature and for the same amount of time. If you don’t allow enough time for thawing, just cook it a little longer (60-90 minutes). Hope this helps!

• Camille says:

7. I searched the better part of the day for a recipe for hash brown casserole. Thank you I found the perfect one. Ilike moms cheese best. I know you hear it all the time. But I’m a scared freezers! So here goes. Do you cook the casserole before cooking? Thank you again! Cant wait to start freezers meals so I can craft more.

• Six Sisters says:

I would freeze this before cooking it. So just do all the prep work and put it in the freezer right before cooking. When you are ready to eat it, pull it out about 12 hours in advance and let it thaw in the fridge, then bake it at the said temperature and for that amount of time.

8. I make my taters a little different i do not add the onions i add also to mine about two squirts of mayo i do not add the butter or the corn flakes BUT ontop of mine i add french fried onions!!! We first had these at a funeral in Salt Lake City. Of course i only know these as funeral potatoes
    I really liked them but over the years i have added and taken away and what i have is the most moist creamy yummy funeral taters anywhere across the land

9. Six Sisters says:

Sounds delicious! These potatoes are seriously our favorite and they feed a crowd! So fun to tweek it and get it just the way you like it! Thanks Joanne! -The Six Sisters

• Six Sisters says:

You don’t need to thaw the hashbrowns. Just throw them in frozen. We hit the bag on the counter to kind of break them up if they are frozen into one big chunk. Hope this helps!! -The Six Sisters

10. Morgan says:

This is the only recipe I found where you don’t have to thaw them and I loved that because I decided to make mine last minute. I feel like there was too much chicken flavor in mine so next time ill go lighter on chicken broth but still very yummy.

11. Lela says:

Greetings I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by
    accident, while I was browsing on Digg for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for
    a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

My page; elder scrolls online gameplay (file_links[c#)

12. Amy says:

Six Sisters – If you are making a pan of these to put in the freezer (putting up your freezer meals for baby arrival soon), do you cook the assembled casserole and then cool and place in freezer? Or do you leave uncooked? Thanks!

13. Therese says:

I like the version with soup,but has anyone made it without the cheese? My boyfriend can’t have dairy, and he don’t like cheese. please help. I am restocking the freezer for the winter, we live in WY and getting to the store can be a bear.. anymore recipes would be great!! thanks.

14. Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health says:

I prepare this recipe all the time! I make the version without the cream of chicken soup. Most times I add ham and make it the main dish.

15. Nancy says:

Can you use fresh potatoes for the non cream of chicken soup version? If so, how many potatoes? I am not fond of frozen hash browns.

• Cyd says:

You could use fresh potatoes. You’ll want to rinse your freshly shredded potatoes before you cook with them, though; they release a lot of cloudy starch that holds water and might make your casserole a little goopy. You’ll need the same amount as you would if they were hashbrowns. A pound of homemade hash browns is about 7 1/2 cups of loose shredded potatoes, or 5 1/3 cups of firmly packed ones. This recipe calls for 26 ounces. Hope this helps.