Brownies and Bars, Dessert, Recipes, Zucchini

Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

I still have so many zucchini recipes to share (I have been so creative with my zucchini this year!), but I am trying to spread them out so that this doesn’t become a blog dedicated to zucchini. These bars are awesome- and so full of veggies! I loved them without the frosting (kind of tasted like zucchini bread), but with the frosting they are even better. So if you have tons of zucchini like me, try these bars!

• 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

• 1 (8 oz) pkg reduced fat cream cheese
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla.  Don’t worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients.  Then fold in the carrot, zucchini, and walnuts.
  2. In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda.  Whisk to blend together.
  3. Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
  4. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
  5. Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting.   In a medium mixing bowl, beat the fosting ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.  Spread or pipe the frosting over the cooled bars.  Makes 36 bars.

Here are more fun desserts from the Six Sisters:
Snickers Cake
Fudgy Brownies
Strawberry Cream Cheese Fudgy Brownies
Whoppers Blondie Bars
Cherry Chocolate Nut Bars

Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen

Comments

HI, I have 6 sisters, I am in the middle. I know how special it is to be a girl only family. All 7 of us are special friends and nothing can take that away. I love your recipes and web site, thank you.

we r six and i know how we bond through the years. it is great to see you all keeping in touch. we use the facebook.
    and your blog is great!

Found you via Pinterest; made these tonight. They turned out great, although not as quite as pretty as your photo. I had a little trouble keeping them “neat” as they were being cut. Cupcakes could be a better presentation for me…a recipe keeper all the same! :)

4. Erin says

Thank you! These were seriously yummy! Tasted like the best of a carrot cake & zucchini bread combined :) I love the idea of cupcakes (for portion control & ease) Thanks again!

5. Crystal D. says

Hi! these look great- have you ever tried freezing them? Just curious if it would hold up. The tough part about a larger recipe like this is that I find it tough to eat them all before they go bad. Thanks :)

6. Ramona says

Hi sweet sisters! I love all of your recipes. I’ve made so many. I was wondering if you could make this in a Bundt pan instead and if so how much longer would you bake it? Thank you!

• Cyd says

Hi Ramona, We have never made this recipe in a Bundt pan so I don’t know what to tell you as far as how long it would need to cook. Sorry we aren’t more help for you. Just watch it closely and poke a toothpick in until it come out clean. We would love to hear how it goes if you give it a try! Enjoy your Easter weekend and thanks so much for stopping by our blog!!

7. Lisa says

I made these this weekend, but substituted golden raisins for the walnuts (my nephew has allergies) & added a tablespoon or so of chia seeds for extra nutrition. I also added some lime zest in the frosting just because I had it. Never has my baking ever gone this quickly in my family. This recipe is a keeper!

8. Sharizzle says

Oh my goodness, I just made these and they were awesome!! I was so pleasantly surprised (don’t know why I was surprised, though, because I’ve made many of the Six Sisters recipes and they always turn out great!) by how yummy these turned out! I made a few changes though: I substituted 2/3 unsweetened applesauce for the oil, I reduced the walnuts to 1/4 cup, and I doubled the amount of lemon zest in the frosting. Oh, and I also added 3/4 cup of shredded yellow squash in, in addition to the 1 cup of zucchini it already calls for. I just wanted to get more veggies in there! IT IS DELICIOUS! If you like carrot cake, you will LOVE this variation! And FYI, I calculated out the calories for this recipe, and with my changes, it comes out to 165 calories per bar (I got 18 bars out of the 9×13 pan).

9. Vanessa says

Found this recipe via Pinterest and it looked so good I had to try it. After mixing the batter, I realized that I didn’t have a 13 x 9 pan so I used my mini-muffin pan and baked them for 22 minutes. The recipe made 36 perfect little cupcakes. I did make a few modifications to accommodate my dietary restrictions; including using egg beaters instead of whole eggs, trading half of the oil for applesauce, and using fat free cream cheese. My boyfriend, who won’t eat anything he thinks is reduced-calorie or -fat, devoured six of them before I could even get them on a plate. I’m giving this recipe gets a huge thumbs-up. Thanks for the awesomeness! :)