Slow Cooker Bajio Chicken

To be honest, I have never actually eaten at Bajio's (a Fresh-Mex restaurant) but I saw this recipe over at Your Home Based Mom and knew I had to try it. It reminded me of our Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe that my family absolutely LOVES . . . and this recipe was definitely a winner!!! It was more a sweet Mexican dish instead of of a hot one, which was perfect for my kids (my husband prefers hot foods, so he poured on the hot sauce!).
The thing that I love most about this chicken is that it is so versatile! I had mine on top of a salad with black beans, avacados and tomatoes; the kids had their chicken in a quesadilla, and my husband ate his on crunchy tortilla shells . . . whatever fits your fancy!
Anyway, this recipe is being added to our dinner rotation immediately!

5 chicken breasts
1/2 cup salsa
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 cup brown sugar (more to taste)
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
6 oz. Sprite (1/2 can)
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crock pot and cook 1 more hour. Thicken the juices with a little cornstarch mixed in water.
Serve with flour tortillas, lettuce, cheese, black beans and any other taco fixings.
If you want it spicier rather than sweeter add a hotter salsa and more green chilies.

This would be easy to use as a freezer meal! Once it is all cooked and shredded, pour into a freezer gallon-sized ziploc bag. Freeze flat. When you are ready to use it, quickly reheat it (either in a crock pot or even a microwave!). (It works best if you let it thaw in your fridge for about 24 hours before reheating it)
Linking to Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, and all these great link parties!

1. Here’s my 3rd time trying to leave this comment:(
    For some reason, I have to uncheck the remember me/automatic sign in part in order to leave comments on any blog…dumb.
    Anyways,this looks super yummy. I love that it has avacado! My family and I are big fans of tex-mex foods. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

2. Debbo says:

Excuse my ignorance, but I’m new to Pinterest. I’m following you, but would like to pin individual recipes, like this one, to my board. How do I do that? Also, when you say any slow cooker recipe can also be done in a beanpot, will you give instructions for this one (order, cooking time, microwave or oven, etc.) so I can transfer the recipe? Just got a bean pot and have not used it yet. Thanks.

3. Chynna says:

Ok so I made this very apprehensively, as I am not a fan of sweet tasting meats–It was a definite win! Though I did leave out the brown sugar. I set the fixings out for tacos and my husband wanted to just eat the chicken plain because it tasted so good! Thanks for sharing!

4. Cassi says:

anyone know how many pounds of chicken this recipe uses? At my store, 5 chicken breast would be like 5 pounds. surely this isnt calling for 5 pounds… haha

5. Jennine says:

Does the cumin make it hot? I love cumin but a tablespoon sounded like a lot so I just did a teaspoon. Also, have you ever tried cooking on high? I didn’t get it in on time for low so I’m trying that and hoping it won’t dry it out.

• Cyd says:

The cumin doesn’t really make it hot, just gives it more flavor. You should be fine cooking it on high. Watch it closely to that it doesn’t overcook.

6. Jessica says:

Made this chicken tonight and it was easy and great! I added a little less than half a can of chipotle peppers in adobo and it made a great addition. Will make again :)

7. rose says:

I have made this before and asked last time if I could use spirit and that was approved by you but new question! I have cherry 7-up on hand what do you think?

• Cyd says:

Hi Rose, we can honestly say we have not tried cherry 7up. I think it would work fine, it’s the taste that may be altered a little. I don’t know how much the cherry flavor would shine through. Be sure to let us know if you try cherry 7Up!! :) You are adding all kinds of new twists to the recipe! That’s awesome!!

• Rose says:

UPDATE: the cherry 7-up worked just fine. I had forgotten from the last time how much I love this chicken. I will make it again! Thank you!!!