Slow Cooker Bacon-Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken

You all know about my obsession with my crock pot . . . and I am always on the lookout for more yummy crock pot recipes. I saw this one over at Money Saving Mama and made it the next day . . . we loved it! It has a great flavor . . . I love the apples in it. It was super easy and delicious. She also threw in a couple idea for side dishes (although as you can see in the picture, we had other sides with our chicken) and I included them because it's always nice to have new ideas for side dishes!
  • 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
  • 1-2 apples, peeled and grated
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 6-8 slices bacon
  • 2-3 sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped frozen broccoli

1. In small bowl, combine BBQ sauce with grated apple and lemon juice.
2. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each chicken breast. Place chicken breasts in base of crock pot, pour BBQ/apple mixture over the chicken.  Set to low and cook for 8 hours.
3. Slit sweet potatoes with knife or vent with fork. Bake sweet potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour in baking dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with foil. Remove and let cool about 10 minutes. Peel skins off of the potato and mash. Serve with cinnamon and butter if you like.
4. Cook frozen broccoli as directed on package.
5. Serve yummy chicken breast with side of broccoli and sweet potatoes.

Linking to:

1. Sharon says:

I have tried numerous recipes that you have posted and I must say, everything has been just super delish!! Even stuff the picky grandkids will eat. Thanks for such a fun blog.

2. Moonica says:

Can you please clarify the order of the following?
    “pour BBQ/apple mixture over the chicken. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each chicken breast.”

Are you supposed to wrap the bacon around the chicken coated in the apple/BBQ mix, or are you supposed to wrap the chicken breasts first and then pour the sauce over the bacon/chicken combination?

Thanks!

3. Camille says:

Moonica- sorry about that! I just had the order wrong- wrap the chicken breasts first, then put them in the crock pot and pour BBQ mix on top!
    Thanks for letting me know!

4. Camille says:

Hi Anonymous! I have done it both ways- frozen and thawed and they turned out the same . . . I know that some people don’t like to use frozen chicken in the slow cooker, so do what you feel comfortable with. :)

5. Kate says:

What type of apple and BBQ sauce did you use? Made this tonight with a granny smith apple and Open Pit bbq; thought the tart apple would work with the lemon and the thinner sauce would be good. It was tastey but I’m wondering if something a little sweeter (a Sweet Baby Ray’s maybe?) would be even better. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

6. I am going to make this Thursday for Vday. My boyfriend loves bacon. I have 2 questions. The first one, we don’t have to cook the bacon at all before we wrap it around the chicken right? And secondly, what sort of apples are the best to use? I have Macintosh, should I buy something different? I am also planning on using Budwiser BBQ sauce since I already have it. Think that combination will be good?

Im so excited!

7. Phil Feudner says:

I would like to compliment you on your great blog and also ask you to check your print friendly logo as I have not as of late been able to copy any of the wonderful recipes you have on your site. I can’t afford to waste the ink on the great remarks you receive as it takes from five to seven pages of remarks to get one recipe. If it isn’t too much trouble would you check out the print friendly. It would be appreciated. Thanks

8. Megan G Thomson says:

My husband and I have four little, beautiful, smart and a wee bit crazy daughters. It warms my heart to see how close you are, even if separated by distance. happy thanksgiving!
    meg