PVC Pipe Sprinkler "Kid Wash" Tutorial

I don't know how the weather is where you are, but the dog days of summer are here in Utah. It's hot, we're sweaty, and the kids are kind of restless and bored. I had seen a couple of these "Kid Washes" floating around Blogland and explained the idea to my husband . . . the wheels in our heads starting turning and this is what we came up with:
The Ultimate Kid Wash!
Don't be intimidated! You can totally do this!!
Here is what you need:
-2 (10 foot) 3/4" PVC pipes (cut 2 5-foot pieces and 2 3-foot pieces from the 2 ten foot pipes)
-3 (10 foot) 1/2" PVC pipes (cut 4 5-foot pieces and 8 1-foot pieces from the 3 ten foot pipes)
-4 (1/2") Tees
-4 (3/4"-1/2") threaded side outlet elbows
-4 (1/2") male adapters
-7 (1/2") end caps
-1 (1/2") hose adapter
-Primer and cement
(Take this wonderful list to Lowe's or Home Depot, hand it to one of the workers, and they can find all these little pieces for you. Also, have them cut your pipes! If it is a slower day, they will happily do it for you!)
Here are all your random parts from the list . . . let the building begin!
First, make 3 of these upside-down "T"-shapes using 1 5-foot (1/2") pipe, 2 1-foot (1/2") pipes, 1 tee, and 2 end caps. At the top is your male adapter.
Build one more upside-down "T", only this time you will use one end cap and one hose adapter.
At Home Depot, they were sold out of the right size of hose adapter, so we had to purchase an extra piece so that our hose adapter would fit. However, we later found the correct size hose adapter at Lowe's (after this picture was taken), so you won't have this extra piece like we do! (Pictured is a 1/2" to 3/4" female adapter in the middle and a 3/4" to hose male adapter).

Prime your pieces and cement them into place!!
Now with your 4 (3/4") pipe pieces, drill random holes in the pipe. We kind of had our holes staggered so that the water would shoot out at different angles. We also made our holes different sizes.
Now piece your 4 (3/4") pipes (with holes drilled in them!) together with the threaded side outlet elbows (1/2" threading should be up). Holes that you drilled in the pipe should be angled slightly in (towards the center) to ensure maximum soak-ability!
After the cement is dry, all you have to do is screw in the four "T"-shaped legs to the top (securely) and plug in a hose to the adapter on the bottom.
Turn the hose on as high as you can for the strongest water-stream.
Let the soaking begin!

Linking to these parties . . .
and here . . .
And Tip Junkie . . .
And Today's Creative Blog . . .

1. Trimurti says:

Sprinkler Pipes
    Our companys products are Sprinkler Pipes, PVC pipes, PVC riser pipes, PPR pipes, PEX Pipes, PPRC Pipes, PVC column pipes, PVC plumbing pipes, UPVC pipes, & Water Storage Tanks and All type of pipes fitting, Supplier, Wholesalers, exporters & manufacturers in India.

2. Trimurti says:

Our companys products are PVC pipes, PVC riser pipes, PPR pipes, PEX Pipes, PPRC Pipes, PVC column pipes, PVC plumbing pipes, UPVC pipes, & Water Storage Tanks and All type of pipes fitting, Supplier, Wholesalers, exporters & manufacturers in India.
    Trimurti Industry specialized in PVC Pipes, PPR pipes,PVC Pipes Supplier, Wholesalers, exporters & manufacturers in India.
    PVC Pipes In India

3. Susan says:

I love this idea, but instead of drilling holes in my PVC pipe that I am constantly using for a variety of projects, I am going to attach a sprinkler hose to the top of the kid wash…. I hope it works! Thanks for the great idea!

4. Kylee Duff says:

This is so awesome! I got your cook/craft book at Costco and looked this up online to see the comments. Do you have to cement the pieces together? I’d like to be able to take it apart but I don’t want the water to leak. Also about how much does this cost to make? Thanks. I’m so existed to try this and love the book!

• Cyd says:

The project cost about 20 dollars to make. You do need to cement the pieces together to keep it from leaking. Your kids will LOVE it!

• Cyd says:

We are able to break it down into 2 big pieces and we store it in the garage against the wall. You can always re-glue it each summer. This is our 3rd summer with it and it works great! Hope this helps.

• Kevin says:

you may be able to find ferncos that fit that size of pipe, I am not sure. Frencos are black rubber pieces that allow you to connect pipe together and you clamp them down on each side, nice and tight. If you can find them in that size of pipe, I would first glue the corner areas up to make those water tight (can’t use the fernocs in those areas), and look for good spots to separate the pieces using the ferncos. You could use more of them to break the system down into smaller pieces. The pieces would be of different shapes but easier to store than the whole apparatus. I’ve had good luck getting a tight seal with these and then you’d just loosen the clamps and slide the pipe apart at those spots for breaking it down for storage.

• Casey says:

There is an item called a pvc union that can be installed in various locations that
          will allow you to disassemble it for storage.

5. Thurman says:

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I
    wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

Take a look at my web site :: head soccer cheats