This is our second year attempting to grow a garden . . . last year, I had NO zucchinis . . . this year, I have so many that I don’t know what to do with them! I saw this recipe over at Kalyn’s Kitchen and made it for dinner last night. It was so easy to throw together and was the perfect summer side dish!!
I adapted her recipe slightly, using what I had on hand . . .
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices (I actually only used zucchini, but if you want to mix it up, add squash!)
- 1 T dried basil (or if you have fresh, use 2-4 T)
- 2 T chopped onion
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup + ½ cup cheese (I used cheddar, but any kind would work! She recommended Pizza Cheese, which is a low-fat blend of Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano, and Parmesan, in the original recipe)
- ½ cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices, then slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, basil, chopped onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining ½ cup of grated cheese.
- Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
30 Vegetable Side Dishes
Orange Fluff Jello Salad
Honey Roasted Red Potatoes
Butternut Squash Bake
100 + Healthy Recipes from Six Sisters’ Stuff
Inside, you’ll find over 100 recipes that will help you on your path to living a healthier lifestyle. No preservatives, no deep-frying, and no drive-thru, just quick and easy recipes you and your family will love.
Get this eBook for only $5.99!
Click HERE to buy it now.