I love Mexican Food . . . and chimichangas are one of my favorite things on the menu. However, I hate that they are FRIED. Ugh. So, I found a yummy chimichanga recipe on AllRecipes.com and modified it so that you can BAKE these yummy chimi's and cut out the frying. They tasted amazing and even had a crunchy outer shell. A big hit in my family! I smothered mine and my husband's with the green sauce, but my kids just picked them up with their hands and ate them like a plain burrito. We will definitely be having these often!
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Green Sauce Recipe:
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 5 pitted green olives
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken meat
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Directions:-Pour the cream of chicken soup into a blender along with the green chiles, olives, jalapeno, and lime juice. Puree until smooth, then pour into a saucepan, and warm over medium-low heat while proceeding with the recipe.
-In a large bowl, stir together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and taco seasoning until well blended. Fold in the chicken (optional- season chicken with garlic and salt). Evenly divide mixture among the 8 tortillas (I actually only made 7). Fold each tortilla into a rectangular packet around the filling.
-Place all chimichangas in a 9x13 glass pan, sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush all sides of each chimichanga with a small amount of olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, pull pan out and turn over each chimichanga. Bake for 15 minutes more.
-To serve, place a chimichanga on a plate, and ladle the warm sauce overtop. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and green onions. Finish with a dollop of sour cream.
Want the perfect side dish to go with these babies? Check out our Slow Cooker Refried Beans!
Linking up to these parties . . .