This is what makes the entire meal! If you don’t feel like making a salad, this is a great meat for burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, etc! And it is super easy to make! My good friend Rachel gave me this recipe years ago and we have made it many, many times. (We already posted the recipe here, but it is worth sharing again!)
1 tsp. butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/3 c. tomato juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantroIn a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until you can smell it. Add beans, tomato juice, and salt. Continually stir until heated through. Just before serving stir in the cilantro.
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk (if you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tsp vinegar to your cup of regular milk)
2 tomatillos, husk removed and diced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 clove garlicJuice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
Elyse already shared this recipe, but here it is again:
- 2 avocados
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.
Now you are ready to build your salad! Cafe Rio serves their salads in an aluminum deep-dish tin and you seriously need something deep with edges like that to hold these salads- they grow really big, really fast!
1. Take a flour tortilla and place on bottom (either of the bowl or plate you are using). (**Jared and I don’t usually put a tortilla at the bottom . . . we figure it is just extra calories. Ha ha! But Cafe Rio always uses them, so that is why I threw it in here)
2. Place rice and beans on next, then your meat.
3. Next is the pork.
4. Then the lettuce (we use romaine lettuce and I am pretty sure that is what Cafe Rio uses too).
5. Add pico and guacamole on next. Add sour cream if you want it . . .
6. Top with shredded cheese (we love Colby Jack cheese, but any kind will work).
7. Pour on the delicious dressing!
Cafe Rio usually also tops it off Parmesan cheese, tortilla strips, and a decorative sprig of cilantro, but it tastes just as good without those. They are totally optional!
Linking to these parties . . .