This is really easy to throw together and tastes so fresh and creamy! Everyone in my family loved this when I took it over to my parent’s house for Sunday dinner. And the best part is- you don’t even need to turn on your oven! I used an Angel Food cake that I picked up at the grocery store and it worked perfectly!
4th of July Patriotic Berry Trifle
Author: Six Sisters Stuff
Recipe type: Dessert
This bright and fresh dessert is always a crowd-favorite! I love it because it doesn't require any cooking, which is perfect for those hot summer months.
- ¼ cup plus ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 premade angel food cake, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- Heat ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract.
- Brush both sides of each slice of cake with the syrup. Cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.
- Beat the remaining ⅔ cup sugar and the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and light. Add the cream and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and the consistency of whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a trifle dish. Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries. Dollop half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread. Top with a layer of strawberries. Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then sprinkle with more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries until the top is covered. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour, then serve.
- You could make about 10-12 individual servings (as pictured in mini trifle bowls) or one large trifle.
I found this recipe in the Food Network Magazine.