Chicken, Recipes, Soup

Spicy Chicken Stew

DSCN9465[1]

This is quick to make and cooks in your slow cooker all day . . . and it has a great spicy kick to it!

• 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen sweet corn
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
  • 1 onion, thickly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (12.5 oz.) jar salsa
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved (about 1 lb.)
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 oz.)
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 4 (6 inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
1. Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper. Distribute chicken evenly on top of vegetables and pour chicken broth over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook stew on high for 4 hours.
2. Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks into bite-size chunks; return to slow cooker. Mix tortilla strips into stew. Serve warm.

I topped it with cheese, avacado, and cilantro and it was awesome! :)

Comments

1. Casie says

This is very tasty but I would not say it is fast! The prep work took a lot of time (which is well worth it for the taste but just know to plan for it).

2. Ashley says

Sorry, I should have phrased that differently… :) I was wondering more if you used a red based salsa or a green? I know the red (tomato) based salsas tend to add a more noticeable flavor to things and I didn’t want to make it a tomato type soup if it wasn’t intended to be,

3. Lisa Paredes says

I am trying to use this recipe and get my weight watchers point value. Could you tell me how many servings it is? Thank you!

• Cyd says

Hi Lisa, It is about 6 servings. Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture. Then click on NUTRITION. It will give you all the nutritional info on the recipe. It’s our sister site – MyRecipeMagic.com. We have over 22,000 recipes out there. A great place to find great recipes and their nutritional info.

4. megan says

I have had the stew in for 6 hours on low then 4 hours on high and the potatoes still aren’t cooked! Do you ever encounter this?

• Cyd says

If your potatoes are cut into cubes they should definitely be done cooking. We just made a beef stew this past week with 4 potatoes diced and it was done in 4 hours on high. You may have a problem with your slow cooker. They should be way overdone cooking for 10 hours.