Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe

These cupcakes are so easy to make and so delicious! They are so good that everyone will think you were slaving away in the kitchen all day!

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe:
(Recipe from Heck Fridays)

24 cake-mix yellow cupcakes, cooled and unwrapped (I used a butter golden mix)

1 (3.4 oz) box French Vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Make cupcakes according to directions on box.

Mix together pudding, cream, powdered sugar, milk, and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until stuff peaks form. Cut each cupcake in half and add a dollop of filling. Put top back on cupcake and frost with ganache.

Ganache:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat cream in sauce pan until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over chocolate in a mixing bowl. Stir to mix together. Let cool slightly.

Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Summary
Recipe Name
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe
Published On
Preparation Time
Cook Time
Total Time
Review
2.5 Based on 7 Review(s)
  1. Ok girlies first of all you guys have the yummiest look desserts. I am so glad I found this through your facebook Elyse!

I just wanted to let you know I awarded you the versatile blog award. Congratulations! To accept just go and check out what you have to do here

tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

make sure to have a look around while you are there and don’t hesitate to say hi

2. Hello,
    These look awesome=I am making them for Thanksgiving dessert!
    I have 2 questions: Can I make them a day ahead of time? How should they be stored? Well, 3. Do you have a trick for transporting them?
    Thank a lot for sharing your recipe!

3. Camille says:

Hi Amanda! As far as making these a day ahead, I think that you could, but I would just worry about the pudding making the inside of the cupcake a little bit soggy. Honestly, when I make them, I have never had them last longer than a day! And for sure store them in the fridge. And for transporting them . . . if someone else is driving, I hold them on my lap. If I am driving, I usually try to put them in a cupcake carrier. I picked one up a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and I swear by it. :) Here is one similar to the one that I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapware-Snap-n-Stack-2-Layer-Cupcake-Carrier/17765952?findingMethod=rr
    Good luck! I hope that they work out for Thanksgiving! :)

• Diane Siniscalchi says:

You can also place jar opener pads (or that rubber shelving cut to fit ) under cupcakes and cakes to keep them from slipping when transporting. I do suggest a cupcake and cake holder for transporting both.

4. Thanks for your quick response! They were such a hit!
    I whipped the pudding a tad longer to keep them from getting gooey and soggy.
    Also, with no time to get a cupcake holder, 12 cupcakes fit perfectly in a 13×9 baking pan-perfect for transporting.
    Thanks again for the recipe-it’s a keeper!

5. EricsMom says:

I have made these type of cupcakes before. Instead of cutting the cupcake and spreading the pudding mixture, I placed the pudding mixture into a piping bag with a large star tip and filled the cupcakes with the “frosting bag” turned out great. I just plunged the tip into the top of the cupcake and gave a little squeeze. You cover the hole with the frosting or gaunche.

Tammy

6. Six Sisters says:

@Kat Designed,

I take a serving spoon, fill it with the ganache and pour it in the center of the cupcake. I’ll use the spoon to slightly spread it around and let it cool. Hope that helps! :)

7. Sara says:

These were really really good! I had to make them after seeing them on pinterest a few weeks ago. I will probably cut the ganache in half next time though…I had lots left over even though I applied it generously.

8. mullanan says:

I used my mom’s old recipe for Boston Cream Pie for the cake, but used this recipe for the cream and ganache and it was amazing! I was eating the cream right out of the bowl. Great recipe!

9. kristen says:

Do I mix the pudding together 1st & then add other ingredients or just the packet? Sorry, I know it’s probably a dumb question ; )

• Cyd says:

Don’t mix up the pudding, just dump it in as one of the ingredients. And no question is a dumb question….we are so happy to help any way we can! :)
      -The Six Sisters

10. Betty Lou Cattelona says:

When making as a cake instead of pie, what size pan do you use, the 13×9? Is it difficult spreading the cake batter over the cream?

11. Sara says:

I was asked to make a Boston Cream Pie Cupcake for a work event. Something I’ve never made myself before. Of course, Six Sisters was my first stop because I know you have good stuff. I made it with a french vanilla extra moist Duncan Hines cake mix. For the cream I used White Chocolate pudding mix (the store was out of vanilla) and I didn’t realize I was out of Sour Cream until I was too late, but I did have low fat Greek Yogurt on hand. It was FANTASTIC! My family loved it and have begged me to make them again. (I made them 3 days ago, and they are begging for more.)

12. Kathleen McPherson says:

I don’t have a lot of favorites, but when it comes time for my birthday I love a good Boston Cream Pie. I have struggled with making one myself, and so has my family. Often we have just ended up with a store made substitute – ugh. Then one of my two amazing daughters found this recipe and ***BINGO*** we have a winner. Problem solved. Thank you ladies and Heck Fridays, you made my birthday.