Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe

These cupcakes are so easy to make and so delicious! They are so good that everyone will think you were slaving away in the kitchen all day!

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe:
(Recipe from Heck Fridays)

24 cake-mix yellow cupcakes, cooled and unwrapped (I used a butter golden mix)

1 (3.4 oz) box French Vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Make cupcakes according to directions on box.

Mix together pudding, cream, powdered sugar, milk, and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until stuff peaks form. Cut each cupcake in half and add a dollop of filling. Put top back on cupcake and frost with ganache.

1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat cream in sauce pan until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over chocolate in a mixing bowl. Stir to mix together. Let cool slightly.

Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

Ok girlies first of all you guys have the yummiest look desserts. I am so glad I found this through your facebook Elyse!

I just wanted to let you know I awarded you the versatile blog award. Congratulations! To accept just go and check out what you have to do here

make sure to have a look around while you are there and don’t hesitate to say hi

I made these, and made my husband and in-laws (and myself!!) reeeeeally happy! I hope it’s okiedokie–I reposted the recipe, and gave you all of the credit–even sending them to your blog to get the actual recipe. I’m a little new to the community aspect of blogging, so pleeease let me know if I broke protocol! (
    Thanks for being amazing!

Hi Amanda! As far as making these a day ahead, I think that you could, but I would just worry about the pudding making the inside of the cupcake a little bit soggy. Honestly, when I make them, I have never had them last longer than a day! And for sure store them in the fridge. And for transporting them . . . if someone else is driving, I hold them on my lap. If I am driving, I usually try to put them in a cupcake carrier. I picked one up a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and I swear by it. :) Here is one similar to the one that I have:
    Good luck! I hope that they work out for Thanksgiving! :)

• Diane Siniscalchi says

You can also place jar opener pads (or that rubber shelving cut to fit ) under cupcakes and cakes to keep them from slipping when transporting. I do suggest a cupcake and cake holder for transporting both.

Thanks for your quick response! They were such a hit!
    I whipped the pudding a tad longer to keep them from getting gooey and soggy.
    Also, with no time to get a cupcake holder, 12 cupcakes fit perfectly in a 13×9 baking pan-perfect for transporting.
    Thanks again for the recipe-it’s a keeper!

I have made these type of cupcakes before. Instead of cutting the cupcake and spreading the pudding mixture, I placed the pudding mixture into a piping bag with a large star tip and filled the cupcakes with the “frosting bag” turned out great. I just plunged the tip into the top of the cupcake and gave a little squeeze. You cover the hole with the frosting or gaunche.

These were really really good! I had to make them after seeing them on pinterest a few weeks ago. I will probably cut the ganache in half next time though…I had lots left over even though I applied it generously.

7. Sara says

I was asked to make a Boston Cream Pie Cupcake for a work event. Something I’ve never made myself before. Of course, Six Sisters was my first stop because I know you have good stuff. I made it with a french vanilla extra moist Duncan Hines cake mix. For the cream I used White Chocolate pudding mix (the store was out of vanilla) and I didn’t realize I was out of Sour Cream until I was too late, but I did have low fat Greek Yogurt on hand. It was FANTASTIC! My family loved it and have begged me to make them again. (I made them 3 days ago, and they are begging for more.)

8. Kathleen McPherson says

I don’t have a lot of favorites, but when it comes time for my birthday I love a good Boston Cream Pie. I have struggled with making one myself, and so has my family. Often we have just ended up with a store made substitute – ugh. Then one of my two amazing daughters found this recipe and ***BINGO*** we have a winner. Problem solved. Thank you ladies and Heck Fridays, you made my birthday.