Andes Mint Cookies Recipe

Join us on Facebook for our latest recipes!

This is my go-to cookie whenever I need to bring cookies to something or take cookies to a neighbor. They are AMAZING! (And very rich . . . warning- you WILL need a glass a milk to go with them!)

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 package of Andes Mints

Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes. Don't cook any longer than that! You don't want them to be overdone!
Take sheet out of oven and while the cookies are still very hot, place an Andes Mint on top of each cookie. In about 5 minutes, the mint will be melted. Take a spoon and smooth out each mint like frosting.
These are so yummy when they are warm and gooey!! They are also delicious when they set-up for a little while . . . who am I kidding? They are divine no matter their temperature . . .

Linked here

1. Jerri says:

I love cake mix cookies! What a great idea to use mints for frosting! Yum!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites! I’m featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you’d like one.

2. Anonymous says:

I have my first cookie swap this week and can NOT bake!! But, I don’t want to miss out on the friends and fun! I’m going to try this. I need 72 cookies, how many will this make?

3. Camille says:

@ Sandy and Anonymous- I usually get about 30-33 out of one box of cake mix. It just depends how big you make them . . . mine are about 1″-1.5″ balls. I hope this helps! (PS Only 28 mints are in each Andes Mint Box . . . so sometimes I just put some chocolate chips on the extra cookies or just bake them plain!)

4. KB says:

I’ve done this before with double chocolate chip cookies and then placed Hershey’s candy cane peppermint kisses on top and smoothed them out. Amazing! I’ll have to try these! Thanks for the recipe!

KB @ kisslaughanddream.blogspot.com

5. Anonymous says:

I have a triple chocolate cake mix, very similar to the devil’s food. Do you think I could be able to use that instead?

6. Anonymous says:

Oh my stars! These just came out of my oven. I barely made it past the raw dough. ;)
    Seriously, yummy and easy. Hope they harden a bit when they cool though or I’ll have to cook them a bit longer next time.
    THANKS!

7. Anonymous says:

I don’t know what I did wrong. Ours didn’t come out as hard cookies, more like flat little pancakes. I followed the cake mix directions and added the Andies Mint chips from the baking aisle and mixed it into the mix.After two batches, I just ended up making muffins instead. Still yummy. How do I get the more harder cookie?

• cookiemama says:

You don’t want to follow the directions on the cake mix. That usually would be too runny to make a cookie with the batter. You just want to follow the directions in this recipe. Good luck!

8. Anonymous says:

I found your recipe on Pintesrest, and I’m making these cookies for a cookie exchange at work. I just finished the batch and sampled the first one — amazing! These are so tasty and easy. Thank you very much.

9. Anonymous says:

I think when I make these, I will do the same as the Peanut Butter cookies I made yesterday. Make small balls and bake in an ungreased mini muffin tin. Bake only about 5 minutes, and when you take them out of the oven put one of those mints on there right away. The PB cookies came out looking the same as the picture was shown.

10. Camille says:

As far as getting them off a baking stone, I am not sure! I don’t use a stone when making these cookies . . . would it work to let them cool completely on the baking stone before removing them? Sorry I am not much help!
    To Anonymous who had flat cookies- I am so sorry! I am not sure why it didn’t work? I like to use a cake mix that has pudding in the mix, but I have made them with regular cake mixes too and they have turned out the same. I didn’t use the Andes Mint chips, I used a package of the whole mints (that are found on the holiday aisle or candy aisle) and I added them at the end, after the cookies had baked instead of adding them to the dough. I don’t know if that was what made the difference? I am glad that your muffins ended up working out!

11. JBlack says:

Made these last night and my two sons really liked them, but I’d suggest using 1/2 c. melted butter in place of the oil to make them taste just a bit more “homemade”.

12. Judy H. says:

Camille, you said you make 1″-1.5″ balls…I’m confused. In the directions, it says to ‘drop by spoonfuls’ onto the cookie sheet. Can you, or anyone who has made these ‘unconfuse’ me? I’m really anxious to try these! Thanks!

13. Anonymous says:

Judy-
    I just made these and was a little confused at first too. But this mixes up so thick that to get it off the spoon essentially your rolling it off and into a ball. I just sprayed my spoon with some pam and they rolled right off. They were amazing!!

14. Camille says:

@ Judy and Anonymous- sorry for the confusion! And thanks for the tip Anonymous! I never thought to spray my spoon with Pam! I am totally doing that next time! Yes, the dough is so thick that you really have to “roll” it off the spoon. They aren’t necessarily perfect balls . . . more like “blobs” of dough that are about 1-1.5″ in diameter. :) Hope that helps!

15. Anonymous says:

I thought these were so yummy and everyone loved them! Also try mint chocolate chip cookies by Betty Crocker! Those as well are pretty amazing and you can top them off with a Andes mint too! :)

16. Judy H. says:

Thanks for clearing up my confusion about ‘dropping’ or ‘balls’. I have another couple of questions…is it fine to mix up the cake batter with a spoon or should I use a mixer? Also, once removed from the oven, do I take them off the cookie sheet right away or leave them on until they have the mints on them and have cooled. Oh, one more thing…does the cookie sheet need to be greased? Thanks! Plan on making these on Friday.

17. Sminar says:

Just made these last night and there are only 2 left! So yummy. Didn’t need to grease the cookie sheet-they came right off and I left mine on the sheet until the mint melted, then put them on the cooling rack (I did lose some melted mint in the process). Also made some with peanut butter in the middle for the non-mint lover in the house (what is wrong with him? :) )

18. Camille says:

@Judy- I just use a spoon to mix them- it’s a really thick batter, so I think it’s easier to use a spoon. I leave the cookies on the cookie sheet until they have cooled, but you could remove them like Sminar did. Both ways are fine! :) Also, I don’t ever grease my cookie sheet for these cookies. They really do slide right off. Good luck on Friday- I hope you love them as much as we do! :) Merry Christmas!

19. Anonymous says:

These sound delicious! I was just wondering if anyone has put the batter in the refrigerator and how it has turned out. I like to make small batches of cookies the day or two before I will bring them somewhere and since I have like three Christmas parties spread over the week I would like to make the batter one day and just bake them the day of the party. Any advice?!?

20. Kara says:

Has anyone tried these using a Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix? I would love to make these for my husband and daughter!

21. Anonymous says:

These are AMAZING! My husband loved them! I actually used only a 1/2 mint on each cookie. They weren’t quite as rich and my mints went a lot further :)

22. Lisa says:

These are FABULOUS! I altered the recipe a little bit – I used 1/2 cup of nonfat yogurt instead of oil, I used 1/3 cup of egg whites instead of two eggs and I only used half an Andes candy on each cookie. But let me tell you, you would NEVER know that I made the recipe more healthy. They are amazing – the true indication is, I made them for my class’s holiday party and the kids had no idea that they were “healthy” cookies. The entire plate (42 cookies – I made them small) was gone in 20 minutes.

23. Sharron Powell says:

my daughter and i just made these…OMG, they are delicious. so good and such an easy recipe to do with the kids. Thanks :)

24. Anonymous says:

I just made these.. and they are delicious!!

@Ashley, you only put the 1/2 cup oil and 2 eggs, do not follow the cake mix directions! Also, greasing the spoon with some Pam or butter really helps in “rolling” them off =)

25. Anonymous says:

I made these using GLUTEN FREE cake mix. AMAZING!!! I finally can enjoy “thin mint” cookies again. I made mine big, but they still stayed soft and chewy.

26. Anonymous says:

These are amazing! Even my husband loved them, and he’s picky about cookies (he doesn’t understand why I would ever want to make anything other than his favorite chocolate chip cookies). The only thing I’d do differently next time is maybe use the little Andes baking mints instead of the mints, or cutting the mints in half, so there is less mint on top. The mints were wider than the cookies so the edges slid off and there were big pools of mint chocolate on the baking sheet (not that I minded that…haha). I might also try with butter instead of oil. Fantastic cookie, tastes way more complex than it is :)

27. Jamie says:

Oh my gosh these are so delicious! I made them for a group of friends that are getting together tonight and there is NO WAY they are going to last until then. I will eat them all I think ;o)

28. Paula says:

I made these cookies (per your directions)for homecoming at church. I thought for sure I would be taking them back home with me since there were 4-5 tables of desserts. Wrong! When the first person tasted one, word spread like wildfire. I’ve had so many people ask me how to make them and are amazed that it’s so simple. I tried making them with dark chocolate cake mix today and they are equally as good. WHO NEEDS THIN MINTS? Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

29. Ashlee Cooke says:

Loved these! Made them last night and they were a huge hit with my husband and sister-in-law and I’ve shared the recipe with a co-worker and friend! I made mine bigger cookies (my hubby doesn’t understand why anyone would ever want a smaller cookie) and got 24 out of the batter and they were pretty much the perfect size for a single full mint each. Though still very rich, they were SOO yummy.

30. Diane says:

Made these yesterday and they are almost all gone! Soooo good and easy to make. Use a dark chocolate cake mix because that was what I had and they turned out great. This has now become my official go-to-recipe for needed cookies. Thanks so much for sharing :)

31. Angie says:

Made these cookies much smaller….about silver dollar size (1/2 iced- tea spoon of dough). Then cut the mints into fourths and some into sixths. Made 74 cookies and they were more of a bite size and not so rich. Of course I ate 3 instead of one! Worked great for a bridge snack. They are GOOD! The Andes mint does set up after the cookies cool.

32. Lauree says:

I made this recipe using Betty Crocker’s gluten free Devil’s Food cake mix. Turned out well, but I would use a little less oil next time because the cookies were very soft. The melted mints, once set, hold the cookies together well. So yummy.

33. Becky says:

Thank You! I was looking for the perfect cookie exchange cookie that I could put together without sacrificing my entire day, kitchen, and bank account. These were absolutely perfect! I did discover that the Betty Crocker cake mix worked much, much better than any other others I used.

34. Six Sisters says:

After reading that comment our mom decided to try them. She added margarine which was at room temperature (so very soft). The taste was all the same – oil or margarine.

35. I made these today for a cookie exchange tonight, and I had to keep shooing away my son and hubby, so I’ll have enough for the cookie exchange! They are SO good, and so easy to make! Thanks for such a great recipe! Your recipes are foolproof, I can always count on them turning right AND being delicious!

36. 3Turtles says:

Got a batch in the oven as we speak. I’m going to put them on the DIY serving tray that I am also making – you just use those Brach’s peppermint star hard candies – arrange them in the shape and design you like, bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes – allow to cool on the cookie sheet (cools in about 5 minutes) and tah dah….you have a cheap, festive and disposable serving tray.

37. LAUREN says:

I made these last week with a box of Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix and they were amazing. Tonight I used Pillsbury Devil’s Food (it was on sale) and they didn’t turn out as well. Didn’t resemble cookies, a little on the dry side, and some of the mint melted off the side because they are not flat. Will not be making that mistake again. But I love making these they are so easy and such a pleaser. My kids go nuts over them.

• Six Sisters says:

Sometimes we don’t even use the cookie scooper. Some of the sisters have just rolled them into balls and it works great! Don’t lay the dough out flat. Hope they work for you! -The Six Sisters

• Thank you. I just made them on Saturday for a cookie exchange. They were so simple to make, which made my life a bit easier. Not only that but they tasted amazing! Everyone loved them. I had some left over and took those to my office staff. They all liked them too. Thanks for a great, yet simple recipe. What I like is that you can probably take this basic recipe and make some amazing cookies. I’d love to take a box of red velvt cake and turn them into cookies. :)

38. Thank you for posting this. I just made them but I couldn’t find the Original Andes mints so I used Andes Perppermint Crunch Thins which puts a peppermint red & white frosting on top. It made 33 for me & they smell great.

39. Courtney says:

I made these last week and they were amazing. Even a friend that doesn’t really like mint liked the cookies. I brought them to a cookie exchange and we were eating them at the party – I don’t think any were taken home. I bought more cake mix and plan to make more cookies today.

40. Laurel says:

I made these last night and used two different cake mixes. I found that the Betty Crocker cake mix worked much, much, better than Pillsbury! Just an FYI! Great cookies, thank you for the recipe. Merry Christmas! I love your site!

• I found you on Pinterest too. I just made these using a Betty Crocker mix. I used the butter instead of oil as another poster suggested (Hey, it’s Christmas!) and they’re just FABULOUS! Thanks so much for sharing a really great, easy recipe! I’ll be back to try some others on your site!

41. Carrie says:

Just finished a batch, my first, my boyfriend has had three already! They’re delicious, seem CRAZY decadent, are delightfully rich and so easy, I’m gonna have to watch myself with these, haha.

42. Krista Low says:

My husband is a huge fan of Andes mints and they aren’t something I buy very often. I would totally make his day if I made these. I am truly honored that you linked up with me @ Great Idea Thursday’s!!! I love coming to Strutt Your Stuff on Saturday’s and My Recipe Magic is a fabulous site. Thank you for making my day :) Krista @ http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com

43. Derek says:

Sounded like an easy recipe so I thought I’d give this one a go. This was as easy as it gets and very very good! I got 18 good size cookies out of this recipe. Thanks for the great idea!

44. Jennifer says:

Made these for a work party and they were a hit! Really super good. I did use the Pillsbury Devil’s food cake mix, as I didn’t see the reviews until after I bought it. I have nothing to compare it to, but they were still really good. I’ll try Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines next time to compare! Thanks!

45. Sarah says:

I made these the regular way then I tried white chocolates with coconut flakes in hem by Lindt……. Yummy. It was a big bar found in the specialty candy bars at the grocery store! Lots of possibilities really next will be raspberry chocolate :)

46. Nat says:

Wow these sound amazing, easy, and cheap!! (Just what I was looking for) I will be trying them out for a cookie exchange. Can I use cookie cutters? I was hoping for something holiday shaped…

47. Aims says:

Just wondering if these freeze well after baking them. Would like to use them for a Christmas cookie exchange but we are exchanging early Dec.

48. Mstoys says:

My Mother In Law had a recipe I always made where you melted chocolate chips then added all your ingredients that looked very similar to these cookies. So I tested them out tonight. I used Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Super moist cake. They are not as rich as my other recipe but they tasted fantastic and are a hundred times easier to make. I have a cookie exchange and these will work perfectly. I also experimented with the sizes of Scoops. I made a batch with a small Pampered Chef Scoop and another with a medium Pampered chef Scoop. The ones with the Pampered Chef Scoop baked at the 6-9 minutes like the recipe states. The ones made with the medium scoop were a little to big to be held together, don’t get me wrong they did stay together but for an exchange I didn’t want to take the chance of them breaking. Another tip with the small scoop is to break the Andes Mints in Half or the full size mint slides off the cookie.

49. MJ says:

Easy peasy. Thank you for this simple, tasty recipe. I used a milk chocolate cake mix, the mini muffin pan & Andes Candies Mints (1/2 per cookie). They are still setting up, but my husband just tipped toed into the kitchen…

50. Ana Laura Sanchez says:

I want to know if you use a cake mix or a cookie mix, I wounder if the cake mix isn’t very liquid for a cookie

51. Deeder says:

Bought a bag of Andes Baking Pieces on a whim. So happy to find your recipe, made them today for X-mas cookies with a box of Betty Crocker super moist that I already had. They were so Fantastic I can’t wait to give them to friends and family!!! Here’s what I learned to do and not do. The tip for spraying Pam and using 2 spoons was absolutely brilliant. Mistake #1… I should of used parchment paper because the Andes baking pieces was a complete mess..lol Have 2 pans to work with. Mistake #2 don’t move them to a baking rack… my first batch stuck to the thing badly… had to put in fridge, chill them and pry them off. Second batch was awesome as I left them on the cookie sheet and once the Andes were melted and swirled I popped them the whole sheet in the fridge to harden. The super moist might have been the sticking issue though. I’m looking forward to making them over and over again to figure this whole thing out…LOL Thank you!!!!! YOU ROCK!!