Gooey Lemon Bars

This are hands-down the best lemon bars I have ever had! :) I have no idea where Mom got this recipe, but it's amazing.

1 package Lemon Cake Mix
1/2 c butter
1 egg, slightly beaten

Combine and mix with fork. Press down in a 9x13 pan with greased bottom.

2-3 cups powdered sugar
3-4 T butter
Lemon juice
3-5 drops Yellow Food coloring
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix powdered sugar and butter. Add enough lemon juice to form right consistency of thick frosting. Then mix in cream cheese and yellow food coloring. Set aside 1 cup of frosting to spread on top later. Add eggs to remaining frosting mixture and beat til fluffy. Spread on top of cake mix in the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (every oven is different . . . you don't want them to be overdone, so watch them carefully). Let cool completely and then spread reserved frosting and cheese mixture on top.

*In the picture, I forgot to add yellow food coloring to the frosting, so that is why it looks a little pale! :)

1. Jade Cahoon says:

Wow, these sound yummy! I have a weakness for lemon bars and have tried about a hundred different recipes…but never with a cake mix crust! This is being bookmarked and tried very soon! Thanks for visiting my blog, Sweet Street…looking forward to talking more with you guys soon! I’m your newest follower! :)

2. Unknown says:

These are in the oven now!I can hardly wait until they are done so we can eat them. I only had a yellow cake mix so I added some lemon extract to the crust. I also forgot to add the cream cheese to the frosting before I reserved a cup, but it still taste delish! I’m hoping with the extra cream cheese in the batter it will be even richer!!! Thanks for sharing!

3. pmj0117 says:

This looks amazing! Sorry for the dumb question but I don’t see cake instructions. Do we just mix the lemon cake mix, butter and egg for the cake mix? And do you mix by hand or do you use an electric mixer? Thanks so much!

• Six Sisters says:

Not a dumb question at all! The instructions for the cake mix part are right underneath the first 3 ingredients. Just ix together the cake mix, butter, and egg with a fork (by hand) and press down into a 9×13″ pan. :)

4. Maria says:

I am trying this right now but wasnt able to get the “icing layer” that you spread over the cake mix layer to become fluffy like the recipe says. I followed directions exactly but it was in no way “spreadable” but was very pourable, lol. It did thicken up but never got fluffy. Wonder what I did wrong??? any suggestions?? Hoping it will turn out ok.

• Camille says:

I am so sorry! I don’t know why it didn’t work and get fluffy? I know that when one of our sisters lived in Missouri, the recipes always turned out different because of the weather, humidity, elevation, etc. I don’t know if that is what made the difference or not. I hope that they turned out okay! :)

5. Barb says:

Very yummy & easy. I swapped out splenda for my sugar in the filling & did it in a saucepan so the sugar would dissolve & they taste great.

6. Montee says:

I was just looking on Pinterest to see if I could find this recipe because I wanted to share it. I made these yesterday from an old church cookbook that my mother had given me. It is a church in Sumter, SC. DELICIOUS!