Crock Pot BBQ Ribs

One of my husband's favorite foods is BBQ ribs, but they always make such a mess on our grill and this time of year, we can't exactly go outside and grill in the snow. :) So when I saw this recipe on Tried and Tasty Recipes to make ribs in the crock pot, I knew I had to try it! It was super easy and tasted so good!

1 rack of ribs
1-2 tbsp. mustard
1/2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tbsp. seasoned salt
1-1 1/2 c. your favorite bbq sauce (We used Famous Dave's BBQ sauce . . . it was
Season ribs with mustard, salt, garlic salt, and seasoned salt. Cook ribs in crock pot on high 4-6 hours. Add bbq sauce cook an additional 1-2 hours.
I also just found another recipe on allrecipes.com and I want to try this dry rub next time!

(I highly recommend using a crock-pot liner . . . these get pretty messy!)

Summary
Recipe Name
Crock Pot BBQ Ribs / Six Sisters' Stuff
Published On
Preparation Time
Cook Time
Total Time
Review
2 Based on 7 Review(s)
  1. Camille says:

@Anonymous . . . I honestly don’t know if it is better or not- I have never tried it another way! I think that it would be just fine to pour the sauce on the ribs at the beginning . . . if you try it, let us know!

• Unknown says:

I’ve made these and i always pour the sauce over the ribs as i’m putting them in the crock pot, about half way thru cooking i rotate the ribs so the ones on top are now compleatly covered in the sauce at the bottom, and when i serve them i spoon some of the sauce over the top, they always come out great!

2. I made these today (haven’t ate them yet) and when I went to them there was a BUNCH of liquid in the bottom and my BBQ sauce did not stay….how did you get the BBQ sauce to stay on and get like that?

3. Just had to come back and say that I took the ribs out of the crock pot and put them in the oven to dry them out a little and then put a little more BBQ sauce on them and left the a little bit longer and they taste GREAT

4. Patt says:

If you have time and want an amazing rib, try Alton Brown’s Baby Backs at food network. I do use his dry rub #9 to season pork butt or ribs and throw them in the crockpot, though. Delish!

Rub Number Nine:
    1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    2 tablespoons ground thyme
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon allspice
    Place all of the ingredients in an airtight container and shake to combine. Store for up to 3 months.

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups

5. Mmmm, I just made this and it came out amazing! I bought country style pork ribs (with a bit of fat, this gives it flavor). Followed the directions and whisked up some of my own BBQ sauce cause I forgot to buy some the moment I walked out of the store **face palm**. Super juicy, so I took a bit of the juice out before I added in the BBQ sauce. Thank you so much for this recipe!

6. I didn’t realize that there are different kinds of ribs, and I just bought and put “Beef Back Ribs” in my crock. I’m thinking that was a big mistake. Should I scrap it now and make other dinner plans?

7. Jake says:

I used a rack of cheap pork ribs, and even though the meat quality wasn’t great the recipe most definitely made up for it. We made the dry rub listed and added a tablespoon of brown sugar and chili powder. I hope it goes without saying for some people, but the recipe lists mustard but should say mustard powder. Anyways, the dry rub smelled amazing and we cooked it for 6 hours on high. We used crock pot liners and ditched all the juices and put a new liner in. We added the barbecue sauce and cooked for 2 more hours. The end result was heavenly. I have added this to me and my wife’s recipe book!

8. It is tbsp you use of salt instead of tsp? I’ve made it once and it was way too salty, so I just wanted to make sure. I also combined your recipe and the one you found on Allrecipes, it was yummy. Thanks

9. I use the Hugh’s dry rub recipe on Allrecipes and basically cook my ribs the same way. I pull the ribs out before they are in the “fall apart” stage and drain the fat out of the crockpot. Then I put the ribs back in, pour the sauce over and cook for another hour or so. They come out perfect every time.

Regarding the Hugh’s rub recipe, I don’t add the salt, as I have to watch my salt intake. I just salt the items lightly as I make them. The rub is great on chicken, beef and pork.

Jenny

10. ajcoxfamily says:

I’ve made this before and loved it. I’m making it tomorrow for a bigger crowd so I am tripling the amount of boneless ribs that I used before. How much longer should I cook them or should I just cook them three times separately?

• Six Sisters says:

You could cook them 3 times separately. If you put too many in at the same time, they don’t cook well. Other option would be to borrow a neighbors crock pot. Best of luck to you! :) The Six Sisters

• shelbyann2 says:

When I have to make a big batch, I buy the disposable aluminum roasting pans and cook them in the oven at 200 degrees for the same amount of time.

11. Helene says:

The taste is amazing. My family loved them. Making them again tomorrow, but this time I will pour off the juice after cooking them 4 hours, then add the sauce to finish cooking another hor or so. I like my ribs sticky not saucy. Lol!